Stranger’s Guide is looking for a senior editor who can help us create new portraits of places around the world. We work in print and online to offer deep dives into single locations through powerful storytelling. You’ll source, commission and edit longform articles from writers, sometimes working in translation. You’ll also be part of a close-knit and supportive team and participate in meetings and idea-generation for initiatives throughout the publication. We’re looking for an individual with a strong editorial background in longform and extensive experience commissioning work. This is a part-time position that will require remote working. You will report directly to our editor-in-chief.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Commissioning longform articles and essays and then shepherding them from conception to final product.
– Occasionally working to send writers on assignment overseas.
– Identifying and cultivating writers from different countries, including researching the literary scene or political issues of a new place, reaching out to agents, editors and authors to find the best writers for a piece.
– Commissioning work in translation and then working with the editorial team to translate it and then edit.
– Participating in idea generation at staff and editorial meetings.
– Helping consider how to best present our stories online and for a digital audience.
– Strategizing and helping to generate attention and excitement for articles.
– A love for literature and writing from around the world.
– At least five years of experience editing.
– Experience working with authors on longform pieces from conception to final product including at times doing extensive restructuring.
– Experience preparing a piece for both print and digital audiences.
– A strong network of writers with whom you have worked in the past.
– Experience editing longform piece with a keen eye toward bringing out the author’s voice.
– A comfort with working with translators and works in translation.
Stranger’s Guide is an award-winning publication that focuses on improving global citizenship by providing excellent and unexpected storytelling from around the world. In print and online, we offer multifaceted portraits of locations, with photography, essays and fiction on a diversity of topics from some of the biggest names native to each place. In our first two years we have published original works by Francisco Goldman, Edwidge Danticat, Valeria Luiselli, Elena Poniatowska, Wole Soyinka and Colum McCann to name a few.
Our work has been featured in the Best American Travel Writing collection and garnered a National Magazine Award nomination for General Excellence. The magazine is sold on newsstands across the US, including Barnes & Noble and Whole Foods.
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the job title in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please tell us when you could start.